Wednesday, March 10, 2010

telling stories

I love telling stories. When my daughter was very young, we would read together. We loved books like "The Wind in the Willows," the Narnia books, and Winnie the Pooh. One night, having exhausted our available books, I started to tell her stories about herself: Princess Kristin and her good friend and constant savior, Walftung the Walrus. The stories were not exactly deep or well-thought out but they were fun to create and I think Kristin liked being the heroine of peril after peril!

When I was freshly educated and freshly unemployed back in the 80's, I started to write a longer story but sadly not one with Kristin in it but I did keep Walftung because every story needs a savior, right?

I read the first part of the story to Kristin when she was about 8 or so and she loved it. But she didn't love that I never finished the story. She insisted that I try. She can be very persistant.
So I finished the story, and finally, this year it's going to be published. Wow. Only 30 years after I wrote the first page.

One of the things, I'd like to do with this blog, is post chapters of the "Unlikely Alchemist". If you like what you're reading, perhaps you'd like to buy the book. I'll let you know how to get it when it is published. Hey, who's in a rush?

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your stories, John! Inspires me to get back at writing my own. I'll buy your book, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila Cameron LafontaineApril 15, 2010 at 5:39 PM

    Even as far back as High School (and that WAS a long time ago...He..He..) there was never a doubt that you would one day write your own stories and have them published. Great work!! Congrats to you!! Looking forward to seeing it on the shelves!!

    ReplyDelete